Tough Trout Bite (6-1-14)

5 trout

This past weekend we had low tides predicted early in the morning for the Galveston area which had me wanting to visit the marsh and look for a few reds belly crawling through the mud. After speaking with a friend who had made the trip to the marsh I planned to fish and checking the actual tide heights I found out that the low tide we were going to have was not going to be as low as I’d hoped. The tides were running 6-8 inches higher than predicted which wouldn’t be too bad in the morning, but as it reached it’s highest point around 11 am the marsh would be full of water spreading the fish out and making them difficult to locate.


I made a last second decision to cancel the marsh trip and search for trout instead.  I’ve never really devoted a lot of time to trout fishing but made it a point to learn a little more about them this year to become a more versatile fisherman.  I have a few friends that enjoy fishing for trout more than reds so I’ve been trying to take what I’ve learned from them and put it to good use.  I had a few friends that would be joining me on this trip so after informing them of the change in plans and setting a launch time I loaded up the gear and went to bed early.

My alarm was set for 4:00 am but of course I woke up around 3:30 on my own.  I laid in bed for a while and finally got up, got dressed, and went and sat in the truck to wait for my friend Shawn to arrive.  He pulled up at 4:28, threw his gear in the back. and we were on the road headed for Galveston.  We met up with Jared at the launch around 5:40 and loaded down the kayaks pushing off at 6 am.  We had three spots we planned to fish in hopes of finding the fish.  On our way to the first spot we found lots of scattering bait near the surface and a few wakes running down a grassline so we stopped and threw pink skittewalks and Trout Killers for about 10 minutes.  We had a few blowups but nothing connected so we decided to move on.  More than likely these were dink trout chasing small bait fish.

We arrived at the first spot of the day 10 minutes later hoping to take advantage of the last hour of an outgoing tide by fishing a small shallow flat that runs along a few marsh drains.  I was hoping we could pick up a limit of reds here since the outgoing tide would have pulled plenty of bait from the marsh during the night.  The bait was there, but the reds weren’t.  We spent the next 30-45 minutes throwing the same lures as before around scattering bait.  It took a while but I finally hooked up with what we all suspected after half a dozen missed blowups each.  Lots of small trout were on this flat today eating baby shrimp and baitfish.  I picked up another dink and so did Shawn and we decided to move straight to spot number two.  This was another small flat that should have been around 3-4 feet deep but with the tide coming in quick and the elevated water levels, it was about 5-6 feet deep.  Still we gave it a shot for 30 minutes before moving on to the third and final spot which I expected to produce better than any of the others.  When we arrived the tide had already come up a good 6 inches and continued to rise.  We had about 2 hours before it started to taper off so we went to work fishing a sandy bottom near a drop off in about 5 feet of water.  Jared picked up a 17″ trout on his 2nd cast and we had high hopes that we were about to get into them.  Shawn followed with a 18″ trout a few minutes later and I lost one after a short fight.  Three fish had connected on our topwaters in 10 minutes and then nothing happened for a while.  I decided to move parallel with the drop off to hopefully locate more fish and did but they were few and far between.  The bite shut off completely around 10 am so we decided to call it a day.  We had five fish on the stringer between 17″ and 22″.  It wasn’t the best day of fishing, but there have definitely been worse.  On the way back in Jared picked up two more fish at our first spot but both were barely legal.  It was a tough day with a fish coming about every 50 to 60 casts.  They were all caught using a Rapala Skitterwalk.  Shawn and Jared threw the 4″ skitterwalk while a threw a smaller freshwater version. about 3 1/4″ long.

The 2nd event of the Lone Star Kayak Series is next Saturday with the registration cutoff on Tuesday at midnight.  If you haven’t signed up yet.  Be sure to visit to do so.

22 inch trout



fish fry

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: