Double Limits of Reds in the Wind

One of the perks of being a teacher are the long breaks we get throughout the year.  Thanksgiving is first, followed by Christmas, and then spring break before the long summer break comes back around.  After hanging around the house on Saturday and Sunday with my daughter I called up David to see if he wanted to make a Monday morning trip in search of a few fish.  We checked the weather and of course, the winds were predicted to be blowing 20+ mph from the north.  With the winds blowing more than 20 mph we decided to leave the trout and flounder alone and seek shelter in the marsh looking for redfish.

DSC_0017 copy_800x532

We started off working a small drain where David picked up a few rat reds while I landed a lower slot red and a 12″ flounder.  The action was slow here so we decided to push a little deeper into the marsh focusing on the grass lines while looking for nervous bait, wakes, or even mud boils that might give away a few fish.  We didn’t want to commit too much time to blind casting the area until we knew the fish were around.  It didn’t take long to discover that the fish weren’t hanging around the shallow areas so we started moving towards a deeper drain a mile or so from our current location.

DSC_0003 copy_800x532

We pulled the kayaks onto a small island near a narrow channel that connected two lakes to one another and been fan casting the area.  The edges of the channel were only 1-2 feet deep but quickly dropped off to about 6 feet deep near the middle.  The wind was pushing water through the channel creating a strong wind driven current that we decided to concentrate on.  I started off throwing a Bass Assassin 5″ Die Dapper (Chicken on a Chain) on a 1/4 oz jig head while David went with a 4″ Sea Shad in the same color on a 1/8th oz jig head.  With the strong current the heavier jig head was necessary in order to get the plastic down to the bottom so once I had picked up a couple of fish David made the switch to a heavier jig head and a Die Dapper as well.  We would make a long cast up the current and let our plastics reached the bottom before slowly bumping them along the scattered shell until a fish would pick it up.  The bites were relatively soft and you wouldn’t even realize you had a fish on until you tried giving your rod it’s next twitch.  After a while we started running low on Die Dappers and made the switch to the Texas Tackle Factory’s Killer Flats Minnow XL (Pumpkin/Chartreuse/White).  The color didn’t seem to be a big deal but the bigger fish were going after the larger baits so we decided to stick with something within the same size range.

DSC_0055 copy_800x532


DSC_0084 copy_800x532

Around noon we decided to make our way back towards the truck with a limit of reds each.  On our way back to the truck we started seeing plenty of mud boils around the shallow areas.  The sun had been up for a while now heating up the shallow shell and mud making it a perfect area for the fish to absorb a little heat.  Despite having to battle the wind, it was a nice day on the water.  Sitting in one area while working it thoroughly for several hours is not my normal style of fishing but it was nice to change it up a bit.


Wind: 20 mph with Gusts to 30 mph

Weather: Morning temperature was in the low 50s but quickly rose to the mid 60s with sunny skies.

Tides: Slightly higher than normal and falling throughout the day

Bottom: Mud & Shell

Depth: 1-2 feet deep in most areas with deeper drains up to 6 feet in depth

Lures: Bass Assassin 5″ Die Dapper (Chicken on a Chain) and Texas Tackle Factory Killer Flats Minnow XL (Pumpkin/White/Chartreuse) on a 1/4 oz jig head.

Rod: 6′ 10″ Hook Spit T-N-T

Reel: Shimano Curado 200 series

Kayak: Jackson Cuda 14

Paddle: 250 cm Werner Cyrpus: Hooked


DSC_0111 copy_800x532

DSC_0075 copy_800x532

DSC_0144 copy_800x532

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: